Wednesday 19 October 2016

neighbour

Do unto others..
It is the “golden rule”
And we try to live it in our house. Of course, we are not always successful. From the top down. It is something we all struggle with. Love your neighbour. When I was a kid I thought that just meant the people that live in the house beside me. As I’ve grown I’ve long since realized it means everybody that is not you. Your neighbour is just the person beside you. The person in front of you in the grocery line up that can’t seem to find quite enough money for their groceries. The driver that cut you off and gives you the finger. The spouse that never listens to you, the child that disobeys you. The ministry leader that doesn’t quite know how to lead, the “invisible” homeless person you walk past every day and try not to see. How about the person you hurt years ago and can’t seem to find the courage to say “I’m sorry” or the road work flag person that is just trying to make a living and not purposely trying to ruin your drive home.
Our boys struggle with this concept most days. Who am I kidding, every day they struggle with it. And so do I, quite frankly. And it goes hand in hand with our relationship to God, our obedience to God. Because Jesus didn't just say, “love your neighbour” He said, “love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind, AND love your neighbour as yourself.” I think we forget about how important that first part is in relation to the second part. 
Yes, yes, there are people that don't know God that do very well at loving their neighbour, but I think even they would admit to struggling with being perfect at it. 

Love Him, and He will help you love the rest, because in the rest, you will see Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment